Introduction to colocation
A colocation centre refers to a specific type of data centre where bandwidth, equipment and space can be rented to retail customers. Generally, colocation centres provide a variety of facilities which include but are not limited to power, space, cooling and security for storage, network and server equipment of other firms, which can then be connected to various other network service providers as well as telecommunications while simultaneously allowing for a significant reduction in cost as well as complexity.
Benefits of colocation centres
Colocation centres have been gaining massive popularity in recent times. This is mainly due to the myriad of benefits they provide to their customers, especially companies with moderate IT requirements, especially those involved in businesses related to the internet. This is due to the fact that colocation centres allow companies to focus on their own work instead of having to worry about and divert attention towards the logistical support which is necessary for the operation of such work. Sufficient benefits of scale, such as mechanical systems and large power, allow for large colocation centres which are typically 4500 â€“ 9500 square metres.
Some of the benefits purported to result from colocation centres include:
- An operational as well as predictable model for expenditure
- If required, additional capacity can be added cheaply and quickly as well as only to the extent required or needed
- Better access to power and space
- Various partners present in the same facility
- Your data centre will be managed my professionals possessing the relevant experience
- It allows you to build on your cloud strategy by providing dedicated infrastructure
- In case of a rapid or quick change in your business, colocation centres can provide lean infrastructure allowing you to manage operations smoothly during such demanding times as well
- Better help provided during disaster recovery
The facilities generally provided by colocation centres, include, usually on contract basis for rent:
- Lockable cages or rack cabinets
- Provides power in various formats including both AC and DC
- Provides network connectivity; there are three types of network connectivity you can avail, namely:
- â€˜House blendâ€™, where clients are connected to their routers in order to be able to access multiple carriers or
- â€˜Cross connectâ€™, where the clients or customers are provided with access to the routers of the carriers directly.
- Physical security, which includes badge and biometric access, video surveillance and logging amongst other features
- Live monitoring off all the relevant functions to be able to detect failure in real time
Offshore colocation refers to colocation centres located in a country other than the one in which the person acquiring the services resides. While
Offshore colocation has been in huge demand recently all across the world. There are several reasons which can ascertain a person deciding to opt for offshore colocation centres. Of course, many of these have to do with privacy.
Various offshore hosting service providers have begun offering offshore colocation services as well. This is due to the massive demands as well as the advantages offered by offshore colocation.
Manage your own servers with offshore colocation hosting
For a person or a company who already has IT resources as well as the expertise which is relevant, colocation tends to allow the client to exercise and exert absolute control over their own server. Meanwhile, offshore colocation hosting tends to result in making use of the clientâ€™s own software and hardware, while sometimes providing facilities such as internet connectivity, climate control, basic customer support from the data centre, rack space and power management. Of course, there is no guarantee that all offshore colocation services will provide such amenities.
With the aforementioned arrangement, the client can retain complete control of his own server, while simultaneously reducing the requirement of needing to consistently maintain as well as monitor in house data center while also eliminating the need to deal with climate control as well as power management. In fact, offshore colocation will take over all of the physical responsibilities necessary for the deployment of IT resources while the client can focus on handling all the software and hardware configurations.
Offshore colocation offers the client the perfect combination of decision making as well as control regarding the technological resources of their company. Furthermore, the setup also supports and allows the client to use propriety and custom business functions as well.
Often, clients do not have the resources or the time which is so essential in hosting their own infrastructure. Â To be able to boast a secure hosting location requires great investment in climate control, security and power management. This is where offshore colocation comes in. Â With offshore colocation, all companies can now rest knowing that their hardware is protected and secure without being forced to create a data center or a rack space.
Benefits of offshore colocation
There are a variety of reasons which explain why companies often prefer offshore colocation hosting instead of onshore hosting. Some of these include:
- Anonymity. Often, offshore colocation hosting provides anonymity for the client, which is considered to be an excellent advantage for many companies. Unfortunately, this can also be misused in order to avoid paying taxes or carrying out illegal activities.
- Often, people prefer offshore colocation services due to the fact that such services are not available in their country or that the features provided are not what they require. One of the most common reasons for selecting offshore hosting is the fact that foreign countries can often provide high speed internet at cheaper rates as well.
- Legal restrictions in the country of residence may affect the business of a company, which is why it may choose a country where the laws are considerably more relaxed.
Offshore colocation hosting has proven to be a major success and for good reason. You can easily find offshore colocation hosting services which are sufficient to fulfill your requirements and enable you to run your business smoothly without any worries.